Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: How do I put them in steam

Post  Shifty792 on Fri 1 May - 22:03

[quote="GeeDee"][quote="mickaelracing1"]How do I put them in steam[/quote]
Is it fish or meat or vegetables? scratch Laughing clown

Do you own a kettle or a pan? scratch Laughing[/quote]

lol!

I was able to add GTL using the retail code on the DVD case if thats what you meant

Shifty792

Back to top Go down

Post  Everfresh Cranberry on Fri 1 May - 22:04

Its pretty obvious he wants to steam dumplings with a wok and bamboo steamer..

lol! lol!

But if he meant the car liveries then its just a simple drag and drop into the proper car folders while making sure that the .car files have the right classes coded in.

Last edited by Everfresh Cranberry on Fri 1 May - 22:06; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shifty792 on Fri 1 May - 22:05

I believe steam intealls stuff to steam\steamapps folder

Shifty792

Back to top Go down

Post  tdurrett on Sat 2 May - 1:57

Someone tell me the attraction of Steam. My grandson will literally spend $100 of my wife's money to buy to tool or gun from a Steam online shooter game.
I buy the disk for GT Legends, GTR2 or GPL and add any track, mod, or skin to my game at no charge--but over the years I have developed a knowledge
of the windows operating system and each games use and its structure. Is Steam just a "dumm down" option for the next generation of users?

"Chaos reigns within,
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return."

Microsoft Haiku

tdurrett

Back to top Go down

Maybe time to remove this discussion?

Post  JoWe on Sun 26 Mar - 15:49

Is it perhaps time to close/remove this discussion? I have send the guy, michaelracing1, a pm, pure out of curiosity, to ask what he meant by "putting them in steam" and he never responded as he didn't d as well here on the discussion he started.

I just found this discussion again, by going to my message box. We still have no clue what he wanted to steam or what he mentioned by it, do we?

In the other forum f1classic.your-talk, there a much more of these kind of discussions then here on Trackaholics I have the feeling, where people ask 
for stuff, and then you never hear from them anymore, even when other people reply to them. I always find that a bit odd.  hmmm....

But honest forces me to admit I also have asked questions about problem's I had on gtr2 and then by mistake forgot to get back on them. But I didn't started
a whole new discussion about it and then never let hear from me anymore, I think. If I might have too, please correct me and slap me on the cheek and I will immediately turn my other cheek to wards as well lol!  

Greetings, JoWe
JoWe
Engineer
Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post  slow_cheetah on Sun 26 Mar - 17:21

@tdurrett wrote:Someone tell me the attraction of Steam.  My grandson will literally spend $100 of my wife's money to buy to tool or gun from a Steam online shooter game.
I buy the disk for GT Legends, GTR2 or GPL and add any track, mod, or skin to my game at no charge--but over the years I have developed a knowledge
of the windows operating system and each games use and its structure. Is Steam just a "dumm down" option for the next generation of users?

"Chaos reigns within,
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return."

Microsoft Haiku

It's actually not as harmless as a dumbed-down option. Steam mainly exists for three reasons:
1. Copy-protection. If games - or programs in general, as Steam is selling non-games, as well - require you to be connected to an Online-platform, it's more difficult to pirate them. Same goes for all the patches, nowadays: Many programs will have so-called Day-One Patches, without which the program would have major flaws or software pirates would just have to decrypt a DVD-Version. As you have to connect to Steam for the install, it's not that much of a problem for the user - unless he has a limited bandwidth, etc.

2. It's a vendor and market-control program. Companies can sell their stuff without any expenses for physical copies or shipment. Steam-registered copies stay linked to your user profile, so you can't resell them and other people have to buy their own copy. This keeps prices up. It's the same with storage space: Shops have to sell their merchandise (older games), so they can empty their stocks for new ones. Steam doesn't have to, as you only buy the download and use-option. This also keeps prices from falling when a program becomes older. Quick personal example, two weeks ago, I bought a copy of X3: Albion (a sci-fi sandbox game) for 3 Euros and XCOM2 for 11 Euros at a local supermarket - Steam still charges 20 Euros for the first and 50 (the price of a new game!) for the latter.

3. Additional revenue. As you said, your grandson pays money on Steam for something any of us would consider Mods - Skins and additional models. As Steam is an always-connected marketplace with an on-the-fly purchase option, it's easy to offer, especially to younger people, additional content that enhances the game (slightly) and "only" costs a small amount of money. Before, programmers would have to add additional content with an extensive Add-On that cost half to full price of a new game, but usually was worth the money. Customers would have to go to a shop and wonder, whether it was worth the additional 30-50 bucks. Now, it's "Buy this, this, and that content for 10 bucks and leave the rest you don't want". It's the same way many simulators work - you get the base game and have to buy additional content (iRacing). In addition, whole games function on that funding principle: the main game is free, but additional content or freedom of action has to be purchased bit by bit, this is called Free-to-Play (F2P) (like RaceRoom). While this business-model is understandable for games that have an extensive potential (like racing or flight programs), this has been abused to draw money out of unsuspecting pockets by designing games around this mechanic - no teenager, pro-gamer, or whatever needs twenty different styles for his gun in some shooter.

All in all, I think Steam is a scourge and we could very well do without it. It benefits companies more than they would care to admit, but it's a monopol situation. You can't use modern games if you don't want to play by those rules, unless you want to pirate or jailbreak them. Unfortunately, the development over the last years, regarding software and multimedia, has led me to believe that things will get worse rather than better, as people may moan over those developments for a while but then put up with it.
slow_cheetah
Mechanic
Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post  babis_xo on Sun 26 Mar - 23:34

good post the right point of view!
babis_xo
Race Leader
Race Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  GeeDee on Mon 27 Mar - 0:15

Thank you for the lesson Slow_Cheetah... I hated Steam from the moment I heard about it but unfortunately some games can only be purchased through them as you say and that's stopping all  selling their games on when you are finished with them.  scratch Agression

when the sun shines out your bum!!
GeeDee
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  slow_cheetah on Mon 27 Mar - 14:31

Well, it's a very dangerous development to what the industry calls "software as a service", meaning you pay for the right to use a copy of a program, not owning a copy in itself.
It's what we see happening with Win10, atm, and it's not pretty when you start talking about more than just games. They can literally change the program you paid for into something you don't want, and the only alternative will be to not use the program anymore, which in many cases is nigh impossible.
Companies, in general, are no longer satisfied with selling you a product - because they need a steady income for the stock market statistics. They try more and more to get customers into deals where it's guaranteed, that they pay money over a large period of time (think of the financing, insurance and data plan for a new "smart" car (not the overpriced Twingo) all offered by manufacturers, nowadays).
So, guys, it's official, we're all going down the drain, and there's not much to do about it, but enjoy the ride and look at the sights. jocolor
slow_cheetah
Mechanic
Mechanic

Back to top Go down

Post  lauter on Mon 27 Mar - 17:19

... you're soooo right ... unfortunately ! ...
lauter
BMW Driver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum